Sunday, April 15, 2012

homemade birthday cake oreos


 In the past 3 hours I have:
1. Caught up on the latest episode of Glee
2. Baked a batch of oreos with cake batter frosting for my section tomorrow night
3. Filed both state and federal taxes (for free! love e-file)

I figured I'd continue with the run of productivity and actually update this blog IN REAL TIME. As in, the sharing of eating joy is occurring less than a day after these cookies were made :)

So what's the big deal? Apparently Oreo came out with a limited run special edition "Birthday cake" version to celebrate their 100th anniversary.


I managed to get a box on Amazon (as a surprise for the boy, who loves all things sweet and oreo), and I have to say, they really are worth all the hype. You open the box to the delicious smell of cake batter, crack open the cookie to find smooth white FUNFETTI frosting (you all know how I feel about funfetti :D), bite into the cookie and think, "Oreo, how could you have waited this long to release this cookie?"


And feel gross an hour later after somehow downing half the box (which has less cookies than the usual containers! marketing ploy, ahem?).

While they are worth the hype, they are not worth the $14 on Amazon. So, I decided to combine the "homemade oreos" recipe on smitten kitchen with some cake batter frosting experimentation. Surprisingly most of the funfetti frostings I found online used cake batter as part of the frosting-- however, I had my secret weapon from my previous funfetti recipes:


 tack that baby onto your usual buttercream frosting recipe, and you're golden :D


Homemade Birthday Cake Oreos
(makes about 18 2" diameter sandwich cookies)

adapted from Homemade Oreos, Smitten Kitchen

For the chocolate cookies:

1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tspn salt
1 c sugar
1 1/4 sticks room-temperature, unsalted butter
1 large egg

For the filling:
1 stick room-temperature, unsalted butter
1 c confectioners’ sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/4 c sprinkles*
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
  2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, and sugar. Make a hole in the center, add the butter + egg, then mix together until dough comes together in a mass.**
  3. Take rounded teaspoons of batter and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet approximately two inches apart. Flatten dough with the palm of your hand. Bake for 9 minutes, remove from oven, allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the sheet before removing cookies.***
  4. To make the cream, place butter in a mixing bowl, and gradually mix in sugar and extracts. See this sugar-frosting trick to use less sugar and get a nice whipped frosting.
  5. To assemble the cookies, using either a pastry bag, ziplock bag with the corner cut off, or a butter knife, pipe/spread teaspoon-size blobs of cream into the center of one cookie.**** Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream. Lightly press, to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie. Continue this process until all the cookies have been sandwiched with cream.
Eat and enjoy the fact that you won't feel gross and full of artificial flavorings even after the third one ;)


* Although the whole sprinkles still looked nice, I would advise smashing them a little next time into smaller pieces so the color really mixes into the frosting to get that funfetti look.
** I promise this will happen. It may not feel like it right away, but the butter and egg will eventually moisten all of the dry ingredients.
*** These cookies will spread, so do leave some room in between.
Before:

After:

**** Seriously, stick to a teaspoon sized blob. The first time I made these I forgot that a round blob will spread once you smoosh the second cookie on...leading to lots of frosting-oozy cookies. Have faith, one dollop will be enough :)

Oh an extra lone cookie? And some leftover frosting? Don't mind if I do... :D


2 comments:

  1. I should have just bought these on amazon couldn't bring myself to do it. As such, I totally missed out! I was bummed, but I'm so excited to see this recipe! A NEED in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D if/when you make it, I would suggest adding a little less almond extract- I had some comments that it tasted too almondy (although the comments came from a self-proclaimed "supertaster", so take with a grain of salt ;))

      Delete