Saturday, March 3, 2012

Rosemary Lemon Risotto with Carrots and Peas


Last Wednesday we had the first rain+snow+slush situation this winter (the weather channel likes to call it "wintry mix"; I prefer freezing-narsty-crap-from-sky). Generally I am a huge fan of snow, I love it and will frolic madly in it when it snows (disclaimer: I am from CA and I don't own a car), but I hate slush beyond anything else in the world. Stepping through a few slush puddles my first year here that deceptively looked solid was enough to do it.


So, when it was time to make something for dinner on Wednesday, all I could think of was WARM. I want something warm and filling and cozy. Luckily I had just starred on google reader a new recipe from Joanne's lovely Eats well with others blog for risotto with carrots and feta, which looked so warm (orange and yellow colors!) and inviting that well..the rest is history.



Rosemary Lemon Risotto with Carrots and Peas
(4 servings)

adapted from risotto with carrots and feta (Eats well with others)

4 cups vegetable broth
3 carrots, diced to desired size
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 white onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, smashed and then chopped*
1 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1/4 tsp fresh rosemary
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp lemon zest

1. Bring stock to a boil in a separate pot. Add carrots and let simmer on low.
2. In a large pot or saucepan, saute the onions and garlic in olive oil until the onions are soft but not brown. Add in rice and stir until the grains are well coated in oil.
3. Add in the rosemary, then ladle in 1 cup of the carrots+stock into the rice pot. Stir over medium heat until the liquid is absorbed; repeat with all of the stock.
4. Add frozen peas and stir until the peas have thawed and are a bright green. Stir in the lemon juice and lemon zest.
5. Serve!

* I find smashing the garlic first with the back of a big knife releases the juices, and then chopping the smashed garlic increases the surface area of garlic that is exposed to the oil/food. I also realize that explanation sounded terribly nerdy.

I think for me what really did it for this risotto was the lemon-- it brightened up the flavors and gave it a nice fresh kick. I tried serving the risotto as-is or with a small dollop of goat cheese, which added a lovely creamy texture that is reminiscent of the risotto you get at a fancy restaurant (where they pour on the cream and cheese). Even though I love cheese (just try to get between me and a block of boursin, fontina, goat cheese..oh any cheese really) and I think it generally is a good addition to savory dishes this one for me really didn't need it!


apologies for the low picture content this time...my camera lens kept steaming up and the poor lighting led to very few nice pictures :( 'til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment